GAICA Flex Prepaid Card
A Visa prepaid card you can use in Japan, online or in a store
Simply preload cash onto a prepaid card and use like a Credit card or Debit card at both physical and online stores that accept Visa payments.
The "GAICA Flex prepaid card" is issued by Shinsei Bank Group member APLUS.
GAICA applications made via Shinsei Bank are for cards with Flex function only.
What GAICA Flex can do
GAICA Flex prepaid card (GAICA Flex) makes your everyday purchases easy. You get the convenience of a Credit or Debit card, without the risk of overspending.
Shopping at stores or online (Japan/Overseas)
You can use the GAICA Flex prepaid card just like any credit card. You can make purchases at shops, restaurants, and online - anywhere Visa payments are accepted.
Contactless Payments (Japan/Overseas)
With a GAICA Flex*1, you can make payments contactless without entering your PIN or signature wherever Visa payWave is accepted*2.
A quicker and safer way to pay!
- 1GAICA Flex with an IC chip issued after June 26, 2017 only.
- 2Some stores may request your PIN or signature. Please ensure you sign the back of the card.
Load your card anytime!
You can load funds to your card directly from your PowerFlex account in 5 currencies (JPY, USD, EUR, GBP and AUD) via the APLUS Member-Only Site anytime you like, 24/365*1.
You will be able to load your card from the following 3 options;
Load: Load your account at your convenience. Auto Reload: Balance is automatically loaded when the balance falls below the designated minimum balance registered by the customer (Japanese Yen only).*2
Monthly Auto Reload: Load your account monthly with a set amount on a designated day (Japanese Yen only).*2
If you have any unused cash on your card, you can easily transfer it back to your PowerFlex account.
- 1Service may be temporarily unavailable due to maintenance by Shinsei Bank or APLUS.
- 2 The reload amount will be removed from your Shinsei Bank PowerFlex account.
- Loading your card with Yen is free of charge.
A fee of 3.5% applies when loading foreign currency.
Free ATM Withdrawals (overseas)
Load your GAICA Flex from your PowerFlex foreign currency savings account, and withdraw funds in that currency at an ATM free of charge*1.
Alternatively, you can also load your GAICA Flex with Japanese Yen and withdraw funds in the local currency at VISA & Plus Cash Dispenser or ATMs free of charge in more than 200 countries and territories (As of June 30, 2016).
- You need to register your Individual number (My number) to use overseas ATMs.
- 1Not available from ATMs in Japan. As an ATM owner, financial institutions may charge the fee.
- Loaded balance in JPY can be used in Japan or overseas.
- Loaded balance in foreign currency can only be used where that currency is the local currency.
- The foreign exchange fees will be applied when using the JPY balance in overseas and calculated from the used JPY amount for payment or withdrawal. This fee will be deducted from the card balance.
- When using your GAICA Flex overseas, any balance in the corresponding local currency that you have loaded to your card will be withdrawn. If you do not have sufficient balance in that currency, funds will automatically be exchanged and withdrawn from any Japanese Yen balance you have loaded to your GAICA Flex.
How it works
Tips and Support
GAICA Prepaid Card
- GAICA Prepaid Card (hereinafter the "Card") is the services which APLUS Co., Ltd. (hereinafter "APLUS") provides, and is not a product of Shinsei Bank (hereinafter the "Bank").
- The Card is not a product provided for remittances carried out by banks, etc. including the Bank.
- The Card does not constitute the acceptance of deposits, savings, or installment savings (You can't load cash in any currency directly onto the Card, and you can only load your Card from the Bank account).
- The Card is not subject to the payment of insurance prescribed in the Deposit Insurance Act or in the Agricultural and Fishery Cooperation Savings Insurance Act.
- A system of security deposits for providing the services with the Card (hereinafter "Security Deposits") is established under the Payment Services Act in order to ensure the protection of the Members*.
*The term "Member" shall refer to the person whom APLUS provides with the Card and authorizes to use the Card. APLUS makes a Security Deposit as follows for the issuance of the Card.
- Method of a statutory deposit: Money
- Official depository: the Osaka Legal Affairs Bureau
- The Members shall have the right to receive payments with regard to the amount of the remaining balance on the Card for the return of Security Deposit in the procedures related to the execution of the right under the Payment Service Act.
- The Bank shall receive applications only for the Card with Flex Function. The applications for the Card are accepted only through the online banking service of the Bank, Shinsei PowerDirect. Please note that applications for the Card on telephones or at branches will not be accepted. The Bank does not assume any responsibility even if applications via Shinsei PowerDirect are not accepted due to problems in the computer systems, etc.
- After issuing the Card, all transactions effected through the use of the Card are handled only by APLUS, and the Bank shall not take any responsibility whatsoever. Regarding transactions with the Card and the important information such as fee schedule of the Card, visit the APLUS website. For inquiries or questions, please contact APLUS.
Regarding Foreign Currency Deposits
- As the conversion rates of foreign currencies into yen (foreign exchange rates) fluctuate, foreign exchange deposits carry a risk of loss of yen denominated principal resulting from exchange rate fluctuations when converting foreign currencies back into yen.
- In the event of high market volatility, system malfunctions, etc., the foreign exchange rates applied by the Bank may differ significantly from prevailing market rates. Customers are urged to confirm the foreign exchange rates to be applied to any such transactions.
- Foreign exchange fees apply when depositing/withdrawing yen into/out of foreign currency accounts. Unconventional currency exchange fees may be applied in the event of drastic foreign exchange rate fluctuations or when major markets are closed. The maximum rates of such one-way exchange fees and round-turn exchange fees are 5.5 yen per unit and 11 yen per unit respectively. For a direct non-yen cross currency exchange, the foreign exchange fees will be 0.02 multiplied by one of the currencies.
- There is a risk of loss of yen denominated principal due to the application of foreign currency exchange fees and applied interest rates, even if foreign exchange rates do not fluctuate.
- Preferred rates of Shinsei Step Up program are applied to transactions changing yen to a foreign currency and vice versa. (n.b. Preferred rates are not applicable to transactions between non yen foreign currencies or when the outstanding foreign currencies balance is converted to yen as part of closing an account. Additionally, preferred rates are not applicable in exchanging currencies or paying interest in the PowerSupport Plus program, or purchasing foreign currencies through the PowerBuilder program.)
- Foreign currency deposits are not guaranteed by deposit insurance.
- In principle, foreign currency denominated time deposits may not be cancelled before maturity. However, in the event the Bank recognizes extraordinary circumstances and deems the cancellation of foreign currency denominated time deposits before maturity as unavoidable, only principal amounts will be refunded (interest thereon will not be honored).
- Cash in foreign currencies and foreign currency remittances are not available at our branches.
- Fees will be charged for foreign currency remittances.
- Application to GoRemit overseas remittance service must be made before making foreign currency remittances.
- Before investing in foreign currency deposits customers should carefully read the product description of foreign currency deposits (pre-contract document) that is available in the Bank branches and online so that they can fully understand characteristics of the foreign currency deposits.
Shinsei Bank, Limited / No.10 Registered financial institution of Kanto Local Finance Bureau
Member of Japan Securities Dealers Association and the Financial Futures Association of Japan
- GAICA Flex Prepaid Card