Foreign Currency Deposit
Easy online transactions, anytime, anywhere
We provide online services and English-speaking support, allowing you to make transactions anytime, anywhere
Extensive Line-up of Foreign Currency Products
The ideal deposit for starting a foreign currency time deposit from Japanese yen.
Currency & interest rate
USD, EUR, AUD, NZD, GBP, CNY, TRY, ZAR
Minimum deposit amount
[Transactions between Yen and Foreign Currency] Minimum amount of at least 1,000 yen
[Cross Currency Transactions] Minimum amount of at least 10 basic currency units
For details, please see here.
Our Foreign Currency Exchange Rate
Easy transactions with our foreign exchange fees
For example, 1 USD to JPY (one way)
Three stages of Shinsei Step Up Program will be offered depending on transaction levels.
As of May 1, 2022
Access All Day Every Day
Exchange rate based on market conditions
Transactions are possible online or by phone. We adapt readily to market changes.
In the event of drastic market fluctuation, foreign exchange rates posted by the Bank may differ significantly from prevailing exchange rates.
Bilingual Contact Center
English speaking services
Our English-speaking staff are available to support you and answer your questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I open an account?
- How can I make a deposit into my PowerFlex account?
- What kinds of FX Buy/Sell transactions are available?
- What transactions are available on Internet banking?
Regarding Foreign Currency Deposits
- As the conversion rates of foreign currencies into yen (foreign exchange rates) fluctuate, foreign exchange deposits carry a risk of loss of yen denominated principal resulting from exchange rate fluctuations when converting foreign currencies back into yen.
- In the event of high market volatility, system malfunctions, etc., the foreign exchange rates applied by the Bank may differ significantly from prevailing market rates. Customers are urged to confirm the foreign exchange rates to be applied to any such transactions.
- Foreign exchange fees apply when depositing/withdrawing yen into/out of foreign currency accounts. Unconventional currency exchange fees may be applied in the event of drastic foreign exchange rate fluctuations or when major markets are closed. The maximum rates of such one-way exchange fees and round-turn exchange fees are 5.5 yen per unit and 11 yen per unit respectively. For a direct non-yen cross currency exchange, the foreign exchange fees will be 0.02 multiplied by one of the currencies.
- There is a risk of loss of yen denominated principal due to the application of foreign currency exchange fees and applied interest rates, even if foreign exchange rates do not fluctuate.
- Preferred rates of Shinsei Step Up program are applied to transactions changing yen to a foreign currency and vice versa. (n.b. Preferred rates are not applicable to transactions between non yen foreign currencies or when the outstanding foreign currencies balance is converted to yen as part of closing an account. Additionally, preferred rates are not applicable in exchanging currencies or paying interest in the PowerSupport Plus program, or purchasing foreign currencies through the PowerBuilder program.)
- Foreign currency deposits are not guaranteed by deposit insurance.
- In principle, foreign currency denominated time deposits may not be cancelled before maturity. However, in the event the Bank recognizes extraordinary circumstances and deems the cancellation of foreign currency denominated time deposits before maturity as unavoidable, only principal amounts will be refunded (interest thereon will not be honored).
- Cash in foreign currencies and foreign currency remittances are not available at our branches.
- Fees will be charged for foreign currency remittances.
- Application to GoRemit overseas remittance service must be made before making foreign currency remittances.
- Before investing in foreign currency deposits customers should carefully read the product description of foreign currency deposits (pre-contract document) that is available in the Bank branches and online so that they can fully understand characteristics of the foreign currency deposits.
Shinsei Bank, Limited / No.10 Registered financial institution of Kanto Local Finance Bureau
Member of Japan Securities Dealers Association and the Financial Futures Association of Japan